Sunday, March 05, 2006

One of my daughters is expecting again. We've had a couple of upsets in that she decided to have a couple of quite heavy bleeds earlier on, but a scan following the first one was reassuring so we all got back on track and recommenced the waiting game. A couple of weeks ago she asked me to have a listen to see if baby would let us hear its heart-beat, and sure enough, there it was, bounding away. Two days after that she had a nuchal scan, and thats when the worry began, three and a half hours they scanned for, by the time they finished she had, literally, a bruised tummy. The risks were good though, low-risk for Down's syndrome but, they were concerned about baby's size. Her previous scans scans had put her at 13 weeks, her dates put her at 12 weeks, but they were estimating 11 weeks. They recommended rescanning in 2 weeks. I played it down, in the back of my mind I thought there may have been a chance that originally she had been carrying twins but that she had lost one when she had the bleeds, baby would therefore be slightly small, but would catch up. This week though she asked me to listen in to baby again, and I couldn't hear baby. Plenty of maternal circulation, a good sign, but no racing baby. Friday she asked me to try again, still nothing. I have remained, outwardly, positive, berating baby for hiding from Mummy and Nanny, but inside I'm frantically flicking through possibilities. I have spoken to the hospital, who are hopefully arranging a scan to 'check baby's growth', and I am remaining positive when questioned by daughter. There are good signs, dislike of certain foods, tiredness, breast growth etc, but her womb is smaller than I would expect, especially with second baby. Just think, if she hadn't have had the nuchal scan, we would all be blissfully ignorant, we wouldn't be concerned, just eagerly anticipating 'Peanuts' eventual arrival. We are in some strange limbo like world now though, waiting to see what happens. No one is really discussing it, I havn't started my cross-stitch, and I can't blog about it on my other blog as daughter knows about it and might read it. Not a good time. I want to flick a switch and skip to the next bit, what a shame life isn't like that.

No comments: